Doherty Design Studio’s flagship store for Australian baby brand Marquise is a consciously calm, immersive retail space for one of Australia’s oldest babywear businesses. The store was conceived as an inner sanctum with elements of play and nostalgia, creating a space to truly appreciate the intricacies of shopping for baby clothes. Doherty Design Studio’s concept for this store exemplifies how interior design can be used to challenge the preconceptions of what a children’s wear retail space should be. The desire was to create an interior that prioritised the consumer experience – it is as much about the parent as it is the child.
Working in collaboration with Marquise’s brand agency Ortolan, Doherty Design Studio wanted to deliver a store that was playful, yet sophisticated. Thoughtful planning of curves throughout the design works to showcase delights of miniature baby clothes whilst visually enlarging the narrow space.
The quiet base of ‘skin toned’ porcelain pink textured plaster, and calming feature lights are complemented by carefully placed pops of colour – cobalt blue wall features, tiled display plinths and a custom coloured acrylic ceiling feature that was inspired by the 1960s toy PlayPlax. This fresh take on childhood memories provided a nostalgic nod, so appropriate to a brand that is nearly 90 years old.
The feature shop window and store facade has a peek-a-boo quality, featuring an imperfect organic curved window. The porthole gives a striking first impression - you can’t resist looking inside, whatever age you are!
Material Used :
1. Formica - Laminate point of sale and gift wrapping station – Bronx Beige, velvet finish
2. Dulux - Paint entry door – Dulux Water Raceway
3. Dulux- paint walls throughout – Dulux Porcelain Pink
4. Bishop Master Finishes - bespoke wall render developed by DDS & Bishop
5. Dulux – Powdercoat on trim point of sale benchtop – Dulux Rivergum Beige Gloss
6. Fibonacci Stone - Tile Flooring - (Neues Grey Honed. By Fibonacci Stone), hard wearing, durable surface choice
7. Classic Ceramics – feature wall tile – Vogue, Col. Seta, matt finish
8. Academy Tiles – display table feature tiles – Moda Dots by Perini
9. Bespoke - Ceiling feature - custom coloured acrylic, inspired by the 1960s toy PlayPlax.
10. Bespoke - Fittings – custom steel in champagne-hued powder coat
11. Thoughtfully planned curves in walls and joinery - make the narrow space feel more generous whilst guiding prams to circulate.
12. Feature shop window and store facade - featuring an imperfect organic curved window