GOODTHAI is a contemporary Thai restaurant located in heart of Shanghai city. The concept for the restaurant depicts the story of a mystical Apsara dancer, a celestial nymph of exceptional beauty, that seduces and charms. She is a supernatural creature, a female spirit of the clouds and waters of Thai Hindu culture. Mystical and allusive, the dancer is often draped in beautiful silk costumes whilst donning the most flamboyant golden headdresses with intricate embellishments reflective of the wealth and prosperity of the Thai empires as she dances in the royal palaces to entertain and seduce the gods and men.
The design of the eatery draws from thesilhouettes of the Apsara dance movements, translating this sense of rhythm into a contemporary architectural experience that evokes fluidity and motion whilst celebrating the intrinsic Thai culture and aesthetics with majestic materiality, motifs, and detailing.
Upon arrival, guests are greeted by the warmth glow of the onyx clad façade that glistens like a lantern. Intricate bronze screens that frame the exterior windows are inspired by the ‘Bua’, or commonly known as the lotus flower, an auspicious symbol that is believed to bring good fortune in Thai culture.
The main dining hall of the restaurant is an abstract interpretation of the royal costumes donned by the Apsara dancer. The spherical motifs of the headdress serves as the main inspiration for the sculptured ceiling that appears to curve and weave endlessly above the dining area. The sweeping curvilinear motion of the gold mesh mimics the dynamic hand movements of the dancer as she appears to be gracefully performing above, articulating the silhouettes of her fingers and hand gestures.
The dining area is clad in dark timber finishes, accentuated with tones of navy blue, orange, and gold upholstery inspired by the ‘PhaNuang’, a pleated silk brocade that is worn by the dancer. A composition of brass furniture and metallic detailing reflect the decorative accessories and gold-colored copper ornaments found on the collars and wrists of the dancer.
Past the dining hall, two brass archways informed by the ornate triangular roof profiles of traditional Thai temples lead guests into the private dining area. The intimate rooms are divided by brass metallic screens with intricate patternsinspired by the metallic threads of Thai silk embroidery. A dark walnut timber palette allows the focus to fall on the bespoke gold mesh chandelier cascading down from the centre of the ceiling.
A row of sweeping vertical brass slats flow outwards from the main dining hall to the outdoor dining area as the overall material palette transition into a lighter tone with sofas of light blue upholstery, rattan chairs and turquoise tiles.
Material Used :
1. Facade cladding: Anodized Brass Metal, Custom-made, SWJSW Metal
2. Flooring: Terrazzo Tiles, Custom Grey, Doer Technology
3. Roofing: Aluminum Chain mesh, 20mm brass chainmesh, Art Curtain Co
4. Interior lighting: Track lighting, Lightolier LED Black Mini Cyinder Head, Phillips
5. Flooring: Doer Technology - Terrazzo Tiles, Custom Grey
6. Flooring: TWH Construction and Engineering - Mixed Marble Customized Palazzo Terrazo
7. Façade Cladding: SWJSW Metal - Customized Anodzied Bronze Metal Finish
8. Ceiling: Art Curtain Co (艺帘轩丝尉) - Aluminum Chainlink Mesh Curtain Gold B-08
9. Wall: Keding Timber - KD Panels, Natural Series, K6125BN Sapele, Wire-brushed
10. Wall: SWJSW Metal - Customized Anodized Brass Metal Finish Door Frames
11. Wall: SWJSW Metal - Customized Anodized Brass Metal Finish Cabinet Inserts
12. Wall: TWH Construction and Engineering - Customized Textured Stucco Paint Finish, RAL 9005
13. Wall: TWH Construction and Engineering - Customized Water Paint Finish, RAL 9005
14. Lighting: Philips - LED strip, Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance LightStrip
15. Lighting: Philips - Track Light, Lightolier LED Black Mini Cylinder Head / Black
16. Lighting: Philips - CoreLine Batten / BN124C LED41S/840 PSU ELB3 TW1 L1200
17. Equipment: BOSE - Speakers, DS 16F Loudspeakers
18. Drapery: XDR Larbene (茵然国际) - Grey 5A Curtain Fabric
19. Furniture: Maharam - Terra, 466572-020 Mazarine Wool (Sofa upholstery)
20. Furniture: Maharam - Loam 700006-008 Nightfall
21. Furniture: Keding Timber - KD Panels, Natural Series, Teak Walnut, Open Pore
22. Furniture: SWJSW Metal - Customized Anodized Brass Metal Finish Display Cabinet
23. Equipment: BOSE - Speakers, DS 16F Loudspeakers