By the beginning of the 20th century, mere ruins of the majestic and historically multifarious Falkenberg castle complex, firmly situated on a throne of powerful slabs of granite rocks above the Waldnaab, remain. The castle, which was first mentioned in a document in 1154, owes its present form to Friedrich Werner Count von der Schulenburg, who had it rebuilt and extended with historical building materials.
The count was a diplomat in the service of the German Empire and ambassador in Moscow from 1934 to the declaration of war in 1941. His wish to have the castle remodelled as his residence remained unfulfilled. A member of the resistance, he was executed on 10 November 1944 in Plötzensee in connection with the Stauffenberg assassination on 20 July 1944. Intarsia in stone is the embodiment of our architectural concept. The castle has retained its distinctive outer appearance. The available material has been gently transformed into an architectural form that, while contemporary and technically sustainable, still demonstrates all due respect to history.
The old atmosphere of the castle has remained tangibly preserved. Out of a multitude of valuable, precisely joined individual parts, a greater whole has re-emerged. Simple materials, impressive, well-tempered walls that have been polished with only chalk, slates, wood in its most varied facets, and the ubiquitous natural stone imbue the rooms with their own individual soul. The light is an integral part of the rooms.
The views from the windows of the castle and conference centre reveal houses that engage in a dialogue, not just with the past, present and future, but with Falkenberg itself and the people who inhabit it. The result is a series of one-of-a-kind venues. A path forged into the rocks, a castle courtyard with space for individuals, hallways and bridges, all of which tell their own stories, rooms pointing in all directions, each with their own unique intarsia, rooms with an open chimney fire and seats in the walls, and a museum teeming with life and memories.
The rooms are perceptibly unfettered and resign themselves to a new, coherent identity, without forgetting the past. Quite on the contrary – an informative tour through the cultural castle awaits the visitors, who enter the castle complex from above via the old bridge or from the village via the new, barrier-free lift and stairway system inside the cliff. Four floors provide an illuminating glance into the thousand-year history of the castle and the new museum elucidate the exciting life of the Count von der Schulenburg. What's more, the castle and the conference centre house various event and conference rooms, which accommodate up to 120 people with state-of-the-art technology and infrastructure, as well as a museum café, a beer garden and eight double bedrooms. Intarsia in stone is our loyal architectural promise for the castle and the location of Falkenberg.
Material Used :
1. Floor covering, stair covering, wall coverings: Material: Flossenbürger granite
2. Shading / curtains (loden)
Execution: Cloth factory Gebrüder Mehler GmbH, 95643 Tirschenreuth
3. Museum concept wall handle
Fresco printing, execution of painting and advertising: Heinzl, 95652 Waldsassen
4. Hand-blown window glass (in parts of the castle)
Material: hand-blown LambertsGlass
5. Insulating glass panes
Execution: Glashütte Lamberts GmbH, 95652 Waldsassen
6. Interior wall plaster (in parts of the castle)
7. Lime plaster Rajasil (with wall heating)
8. Plaster manufacturer: HECK Wall Systems GmbH, 95615 Marktredwitz
9. Execution of plaster: Trinkerl Putz & Stuck GmbH, 92637 Weiden in der Oberpfalz
10. Wall heating system: Mair Heiztechnik GmbH, 94474 Vilshofen an der Donau
11. Execution: Andritzky Sanitär, Heizstechnik GmbH, 95692 Konnersreuth
12. Elevator system: ThyssenKrupp, GmbH, 85622 Feldkirchen